My late Grandfather was a successful small business owner. He would often say, focus your attention on having good relationships with people, because if you want a thriving business:
It’s who you know.
Back then my Grandfather’s advice resonated with me, so I started a tickler file with articles about CEO’s and business professionals, torn out of newspapers and magazines. I would use the information for job hunting or to grow my professional network.
All these years later, I’ve maintained the habit of reading about people and the work they do:
- for thought leadership and to stay informed
- to find someone of interest to follow on social media
- and to identify potential clients and work opportunities
To help you get started, here are 7 Canadian publications featuring profiles of people in business:
1. Huddle Today
Lise Hansen and Allan Gates, Founders
Huddle tells the stories of the creative, innovative and interesting entrepreneurs working in New Brunswick and throughout the Maritimes. These are stories that are not told often enough.
- Start here for featured articles and interviews
Julian Brass, Founder and CEO
Canada’s online publication for driven Millennials. From professional to social to charitable, we stay notable.
- Start here for interviews with Young Entrepreneurs
Tessa Lerbekmo-Joyes, CEO & Editor
STANDOUT Publications is a Calgary based magazine created by Canadians about Canadians who stand out. The next print edition, 2017.
- See page 9 of the digital issue to view an example of their monthly profile on 10 Canadians who stand out
Elisa Birnbaum, Co-founder, Publisher & Editor-in-Chief
Nicole Zummach, Co-founder, Executive Editor-at-large
Canada’s first publication for and about social enterprise and entrepreneurship.
- Start here for interviews
5. The Sheet
Belinda Alzner and Matt McCausland, Co-founders
Toronto startup scene on one piece of paper. You can find it at events and meetups around the city.
- Here’s a PDF version of their September issue and visit their website for additional interviews with people
Andrew Fishman and Iris Zimmer, Publishers
Midtown Toronto community based magazine connecting local residents with local businesses. We deliver 30,000+ magazines.
- Start here for interviews with brick and mortar business owners
7. Ways We Work
Amandah Wood, Founder and Editor
Digital publication focused on telling stories and getting first-hand accounts of how people do the work they love.
- Start here for stories and interviews
-Is this list helpful? Love to hear your comments and feedback. Or, if you need a researched List of 7 that fits your business needs, please contact me here.